By Macaulay Babajide Milton
As most scholarship applications (e.g. MasterCard, Commonwealth and PTDF) have now crossed or approaching their deadlines, final decisions from scholarship sponsors are likely to be received by early/mid 2019. Therefore, I am led to reveal this truth in order to further prepare you in 2019.
Not all of you will receive great news, although I strongly hope a larger number of you will. For those of you who will receive rejection emails, your progress will depend largely on how you handle failure. If you handle the rejection well, success will be within reach. If you let it damage every molecule of determination within you, you might nurse the wound forever. You need to stay committed to your goal. You must never back down no matter what!
Today, I celebrate 2018 as a probable “miracle year” but did you know that 2014 was perhaps my most “terrible year” in recent times? Everyone has got their best moments and their learning moments, as there is always a lesson to be learnt from any negative event.
In late 2014, after I had lost 3 PhD scholarship opportunities (Erasmus Mundus, Hong Kong PhD Fellowship and University of Southern Australia Scholarship), I did not let the persistent disappointments dampen my morale.
I applied to my previous school (University of Greenwich, UK) for a PhD study in Insect Epidemiology (the aim of the project was to provide genetic evidences for the migration of white flies from the Tropics into the UK and the consequence on agriculture in the global North). The PhD candidate was expected to use genetic techniques all through the programme.
During the one-hour-long Skype interview led by my former MSc tutors, Dr. Claire Coote and Dr. John Orchard, I was asked to give an oral presentation of how I hoped to execute the project. In 15 min, I explained my proposed methodology, justifying the need for each step. I could see them looking quite pleased until Dr. Coote decided to ask, “Mr. Macaulay, have you had any previous research experience using genetic tools?” ‘Honestly, I haven't. But I am willing to learn. I believe this PhD study is an excellent platform to learn and develop professionally, if given the opportunity’, I replied.
She looked unsatisfied with my response and then added, “We are actually in need of a candidate with a prior research experience on molecular genetics as this PhD project needs to be completed in 3 years.” I tried convincing her but she wasn't having it. The only Professor on the panel seemed quite satisfied but couldn't make a decision on his own. So I was told to await a final decision. They interviewed 4 other shortlisted candidates for the position so it was a tough battle.
A week later, I received an email from the Professor explaining that they received 50 applications from across the world for the PhD position but only shortlisted the best 5 based on the strength of their applications. He then added that even though I performed better than the other 4 applicants, my lack of relevant research experience is of much concern; therefore, the panel agreed to re-advertise the position. He also suggested I reapply for the position. He then affirmed that if I emerge as the best in the second application call, I will be selected for the position. Honestly, I was shattered beyond words, and for obvious reasons, I didn't reapply.
I handled the rejection very well by springing back to my feet within a week. I kept trying other opportunities until I was selected for a PhD degree in Environmental Geochemistry and Geomicrobiology by the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC).
Fast forward to 2016, I had just spent a year on my PhD at the University of Manchester (UoM), UK, and was invited by the CSC to the Cumberland Lodge London for a professional training on Development Impact. Interestingly, Dr. Coote and Dr. Orchard were invited to the event as guest speakers. At the end of their talks, I went to them, introduced myself and reminded them how disappointed I was 2 years earlier when they failed to believe in me. They were speechless. 😂😂😂
They claimed they were glad I didn't give up as UoM is a far better university and that they were proud of me. After explaining my research project which is focused on further understanding the factors driving arsenic release from subsurface rocks into drinking groundwater, they were just looking at me with no clue of what I was saying. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Let me remind you that these were my former MSc tutors, indicating that I had gone ahead to specialise in an area totally different from my MSc field.
I left them feeling super proud of myself but didn’t leave without taking a picture with them of course (see attached). 😎😎😎
Failure or rejection must be handled properly in 2019, for it will largely determine what happens next to you.
Wishing you all the very best and may the odds ever be in your favour.
Amen.
As most scholarship applications (e.g. MasterCard, Commonwealth and PTDF) have now crossed or approaching their deadlines, final decisions from scholarship sponsors are likely to be received by early/mid 2019. Therefore, I am led to reveal this truth in order to further prepare you in 2019.
Not all of you will receive great news, although I strongly hope a larger number of you will. For those of you who will receive rejection emails, your progress will depend largely on how you handle failure. If you handle the rejection well, success will be within reach. If you let it damage every molecule of determination within you, you might nurse the wound forever. You need to stay committed to your goal. You must never back down no matter what!
Today, I celebrate 2018 as a probable “miracle year” but did you know that 2014 was perhaps my most “terrible year” in recent times? Everyone has got their best moments and their learning moments, as there is always a lesson to be learnt from any negative event.
In late 2014, after I had lost 3 PhD scholarship opportunities (Erasmus Mundus, Hong Kong PhD Fellowship and University of Southern Australia Scholarship), I did not let the persistent disappointments dampen my morale.
I applied to my previous school (University of Greenwich, UK) for a PhD study in Insect Epidemiology (the aim of the project was to provide genetic evidences for the migration of white flies from the Tropics into the UK and the consequence on agriculture in the global North). The PhD candidate was expected to use genetic techniques all through the programme.
During the one-hour-long Skype interview led by my former MSc tutors, Dr. Claire Coote and Dr. John Orchard, I was asked to give an oral presentation of how I hoped to execute the project. In 15 min, I explained my proposed methodology, justifying the need for each step. I could see them looking quite pleased until Dr. Coote decided to ask, “Mr. Macaulay, have you had any previous research experience using genetic tools?” ‘Honestly, I haven't. But I am willing to learn. I believe this PhD study is an excellent platform to learn and develop professionally, if given the opportunity’, I replied.
She looked unsatisfied with my response and then added, “We are actually in need of a candidate with a prior research experience on molecular genetics as this PhD project needs to be completed in 3 years.” I tried convincing her but she wasn't having it. The only Professor on the panel seemed quite satisfied but couldn't make a decision on his own. So I was told to await a final decision. They interviewed 4 other shortlisted candidates for the position so it was a tough battle.
A week later, I received an email from the Professor explaining that they received 50 applications from across the world for the PhD position but only shortlisted the best 5 based on the strength of their applications. He then added that even though I performed better than the other 4 applicants, my lack of relevant research experience is of much concern; therefore, the panel agreed to re-advertise the position. He also suggested I reapply for the position. He then affirmed that if I emerge as the best in the second application call, I will be selected for the position. Honestly, I was shattered beyond words, and for obvious reasons, I didn't reapply.
I handled the rejection very well by springing back to my feet within a week. I kept trying other opportunities until I was selected for a PhD degree in Environmental Geochemistry and Geomicrobiology by the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC).
Fast forward to 2016, I had just spent a year on my PhD at the University of Manchester (UoM), UK, and was invited by the CSC to the Cumberland Lodge London for a professional training on Development Impact. Interestingly, Dr. Coote and Dr. Orchard were invited to the event as guest speakers. At the end of their talks, I went to them, introduced myself and reminded them how disappointed I was 2 years earlier when they failed to believe in me. They were speechless. 😂😂😂
They claimed they were glad I didn't give up as UoM is a far better university and that they were proud of me. After explaining my research project which is focused on further understanding the factors driving arsenic release from subsurface rocks into drinking groundwater, they were just looking at me with no clue of what I was saying. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Let me remind you that these were my former MSc tutors, indicating that I had gone ahead to specialise in an area totally different from my MSc field.
I left them feeling super proud of myself but didn’t leave without taking a picture with them of course (see attached). 😎😎😎
Failure or rejection must be handled properly in 2019, for it will largely determine what happens next to you.
Wishing you all the very best and may the odds ever be in your favour.
Amen.

No comments:
Post a Comment